$1.7 million jackpot biggest of 44 wins this week

Nearly four dozen prizes of $5,000 or more were awarded this week to lucky lottery winners, including the largest Carolina Cash 5 jackpot in the game's history.

The $1.7 million jackpot, won by a single ticket in the June 3 drawing, was claimed by a group of 17 winners including brothers, sisters, and cousins, most of whom live in Hickory. They got their winning ticket at the Cubbard Express on U.S. 321 N.W. in Hickory.

Another seven-figure win belongs to Justin Keitt of Lexington. Keitt, a FedEx driver, stopped on a warm Saturday afternoon to grab an ICEE at the 4 Brothers on Yadkinville Highway in Pfafftown. That's where he decided to cash in a scratch-off ticket worth $20 to buy a Ruby Red 7's ticket that won $1 million. Keitt plans to start his own wedding venue business, and buy equipment for his go-cart racing eight-year-old daughter.

Daniel Weisner Jr. of Hendersonville says his high school basketball number helped him win Tuesday’s $341,314 Cash 5 jackpot. “I’ve been playing the same two numbers for a few weeks,” said Weisner, who works at Bryan Easler Toyota in Hendersonville. “But I chose 22 as the third one, my high school basketball number, and the rest just kind of came to me.” Weisner bought the $1 ticket at Norm’s Minit Mart on Spartanburg Highway in his hometown.

Margaret Smith of Wilmington became the second player to win the $200,000 top prize in the new Jeep scratch-off game. Smith bought the winning ticket Friday at Island True Value Tackle on North Lake Park Boulevard in Carolina Beach. Two top prizes remain in the game, and tickets can be entered into a second-chance drawing for a chance to win a Jeep brand vehicle.

A Fayetteville woman says the $100,000 she won playing the $5,000,000 Mega Cash game will help pay for her sons' college tuition. “It is special,” Alani said with a smile. “It’s for my boys. They are my priority.” She got the lucky ticket at the Skylite Fast Mart on Morganton Road in Fayetteville.

Big Winners

Five Powerball players from the mountains are sharing the $50,000 prize they won in the June 10 drawing. Diane Fitzgerlad and Donna Corpening of Canton as well as Julia Davis, Kelley Mosser and Peggy Cope of Waynesville, are the winners. They got their winning ticket at the Quick Pantry on Dellwood Road in Waynesville.

Another $50,000 prize was won by Iva Wilson of Shelby. She won on the Extreme Millions ticket she bought at the Fast Track on Gilead Road in Huntersville.

Ten players scratched their way to $10,000 wins:

- Douglas Brigman of Mars Hill ($5,000,000 Mega Cash)
- Ruth Castaneda Alvarado of Lumberton ("7")
- Vickie Edwards of Marion ($1,000,000 Bonus Cash)
- Lakisha Howard of Durham ($5,000,000 Mega Cash)
- Lynne Hunt of Little River, SC ($200,000 Taxes Paid)
- Tracy Ikard of Havelock ($1,000,000 Taxes Paid)
- Onuoha Oti of Raleigh (20X The Cash)
- Vesta Reid of Angier ($200,000 Taxes Paid)
- Kimberly Simpson of Burnsville ($5,000,000 Mega Cash)
- Mary Williams of Longwood ($5,000,000 Mega Cash)

Twenty-seven prizes of $5,000 were awarded. Two of the winners were from Fayetteville, two others from Raleigh, and two more from Thomasville. The remaining 21 prizes went to winners from: Apex, Battleboro, Cary, Charlotte, Durham, Eastover, Holly Springs, Hubert, Kings Mountain, Lexington, Magnolia, Matthews, Mebane, Mooresville, Nashville, Newland, Rocky Mount, Sanford, Southport, Wade, and Woodland.

Congratulations to the winners! Until next time, have a fun and safe weekend.

43 COMMENTS

Newest Oldest

On 6/21/2017 10:34, Player said

You know, I only wish I could win BIG just once. If only I was blessed to win, after paying my tithes, this is what I would do next. I have a water aerobics partner who needs a car really bad. When we had that big rain storm here last week, her daughter hydroplaned and had an accident. She is a single parent is such a jewel. I come to love her dearly. I only wish I could win to buy her a vehicle because they only have one means of transportation right now and she has not been to water aerobics since the incident. I would also like to help my church make the needed repairs to our building because it is falling apart. Congratulations to EVERYONE who has won! I pray my time will come in the near future.Lucke-Zone RepliedThanks for sharing. Many big winners do good deeds just like you would. Good luck.

On 6/21/2017 06:06, Player said

On the second chance drawings if someone wins a drawing one time if they enter another drawing is it possible they can be selected again. Or do they allow you to win in only one drawing and that's it. Lucke-Zone RepliedIf you have an entry in a drawing you are eligible to win, regardless of whether you've won a second chance entry before.

On 6/21/2017 06:05, Scope1987 said

Where Johnson county

On 6/21/2017 12:15, linkmand said

Out of curiosity I would like to know the number of players in the Lucky Zone second ch ance game. LUCKE-ZONE REPLIED The number of entries vary per game. Is there a specific game you're asking about?I am talking about the whole LUCKE-ZONE game how many fellow players are there.Lucke-Zone RepliedWe have over 824,000 members on Lucke-Zone.

On 6/20/2017 03:20, Player said

Scratch offs are a Big Joke. Been on 2 yr downside for players. More losers than Ever. Until people quit em , it won't change. Cash Cow for Ncel

On 6/20/2017 05:51, VC said

Congratulations to the winners. I still have to say that SC has NC beat on scratch tickets. If you buy ten in a row, I swear I've hardly ever failed to win at least over on half or more of them. They also put out more prizes on the instant tickets than NC. I'm fairly sick of how much I've lost in my home state. I know I'm not alone but NC needs to revamp their odds. I still like to drive to VA or SC to actually win something worth cashing in. Sorry I'm just ticked at choosing meds over food and its stupid to think the lottery gives me a chance. If i win my only press quote will be "God gets his and family gets theirs", not how i plan to blow it on Vegas and ten new cars. God less the USA...Honorably discharged Army vet/disabled SWAT officer. (No i don't deserve it more than others, just frustrated). Been playing lotteries responsibly for 20 years.

On 6/20/2017 01:09, Player said

hoping to be such a winner too!

On 6/19/2017 11:02, chocolatechip said

Thanks for response about the Powerball Cruise question.

On 6/19/2017 06:51, Linda said

Yeah for the winners. I will be one soon i hope.

On 6/19/2017 06:37, Player said

Congratulations winners. Now Eastern NC have more Winners lol.

On 6/19/2017 06:21, Player said

Congratulations

On 6/19/2017 01:04, Runaway said

I am so happy for the winners and pray that my name will come up soon.God bless you all.

On 6/19/2017 10:32, Beachman said

Stay positive and stay in the game to WIN!!!

On 6/19/2017 10:12, quick64 said

On 6/16/2017 07:56, Player said decrease break even money prize on scratch off ticket put more prize money into prizes of 50.00 or more pay 5.00 and win 5.00 is depressing and then people most often just get another ticket and lose because no way is another winning ticket going to be back to back. can this be done. I have said this same thing over and over again myself. The lottery know the cost of the tickets and the prize money they want to give out, so make this ticket that people really win. Again VA has a $5 ticket that you can win no less that $10. I know prize comes from losing tickets, so just make more losing tickets, but when I do finally win let me WIN!!!!!!!

On 6/19/2017 09:20, Player said

Congrats

On 6/19/2017 09:02, linkmand said

Out of curiosity I would like to know the number of players in the Lucky Zone second ch ance game.Lucke-Zone RepliedThe number of entries vary per game. Is there a specific game you're asking about?

On 6/19/2017 08:50, JerzyGirl said

Good morning LZ, it is great to be able to scan our tickets now. I think it would also be a great idea to scan our tickets to determine if they are winners.Lucke-Zone RepliedWe think that's a great idea as well, which is why we're including that as a feature in our new app. The app is scheduled to be released later this year.

On 6/19/2017 06:30, Player said

Congratulations. I am happy for you all, use wisdom in your spendings.

On 6/18/2017 11:11, Player said

Hey Lucke -Zone, how about a pick 2 game? In Puerto Rico they have a pick 2 game,there is not much money involved,but it is fun.Everyone has 2 favorite numbers to play.Fun,Fun,Fun.

On 6/18/2017 06:37, Bootsie said

Congrats to all the winners.

On 6/18/2017 06:21, Player said

I hope I'm lucky one day to win this like others

On 6/18/2017 04:45, Timber said

I've yet to see on your win map anybody from Washington,Beaufort and tyrell counties in 3 months. The western part of the state is always full of winners. Why is that?

On 6/18/2017 12:11, dealnow said

Hi LZ, Just wondering if NCEL would condsider awarding daily points to members just for logging into the Lucke-Zone.(not for each log on of course) That would truly be a no purchase necessary.

On 6/18/2017 09:49, gregtf said

When you scan a ticket you are given a certain amount of points. You may then exchange those points for entries into the different drawings we offer. Winners are chosen at random so you only need one entry to win. Chosen by a computer software program ?Lucke-Zone RepliedEntries are assigned a number and then a computer randomly selects the winner.

On 6/18/2017 06:25, Player said

Hoping to be the next winner congrats to you all!

On 6/17/2017 11:59, Player said

How does the point system work? Is the winner the person who enters the most points per game?Lucke-Zone RepliedWhen you scan a ticket you are given a certain amount of points. You may then exchange those points for entries into the different drawings we offer. Winners are chosen at random so you only need one entry to win.

On 6/17/2017 10:07, Player said

Congratulations to all the winners.hopely I be next to win it sure nice

On 6/17/2017 09:45, Player said

Happy Father Day To All Staff At Lucky E Zone Special Step Father!!!

On 6/17/2017 05:56, Player said

Congratulations to the winners.

On 6/17/2017 04:01, Gregory said

Bought 2 Carolina million tickets last night in Ahoskie at Murphy mark tickets number 01 and 02 win 10 dallor on the 01 ticket and nothing on the 02 ticket. So I did not break even come on put some big money in Ahoskie please.

On 6/17/2017 01:37, Player said

Congratulations to the winners.

On 6/17/2017 12:51, LB said

Waiting on my moment.??

On 6/17/2017 12:48, Player said

Hello NCEL....Who won the $200,000 Holiday 2nd Chance Drawing in January, the Ultimate Million drawings for $1,000,000 and other prizes in May, and the X Cash drawings in April and June? I clicked "ALL" and did not see them listed. Thanks ! Lucke-Zone RepliedThere are two drop-down boxes on the page. There's one right next to the Lucke-Rewards drawing list and the second chance drawing list. Make sure the "all" is selected on the one next to second-chance drawings.

On 6/17/2017 12:06, Tina said

CONGRATULATIONS too all winners

On 6/17/2017 11:12, Kevin said

Wadesboro Winner Kevin Robinson Win Big With A Million Dollars Ticket Lucky Guy

On 6/17/2017 10:17, CharlieG said

Has there been a second chance drawing yet for the X Times contest? The two original drawing dates have passed (in May and June) and I can't find any winners posted as yet. Are ticket sales so far in these four games less than projected?Lucke-Zone RepliedThe drawings have taken place. When you look at the winners page make sure the drop down menu next to second chance drawing section has "all" selected. That will allow you to see current and past drawings.

On 6/17/2017 03:26, chocolatechip said

There are still 2 Powerball Cruise Winners not listed. Why? It seems like even with a phone call, an email and possibly certified mail for a response that has been enough time for a winner to be listed. Does that mean that there were 2 cruises that were not awarded? I'm sure all subscriptions members would appreciate a response to this question. Thanks and Happy Fathers Day to all Fathers who Love being a father. Lucke-Zone RepliedIf the winners have not been posted, that means we're in the process of selecting alternate winners. The prizes will be awarded.

On 6/16/2017 11:52, Tonya said

Wow! I'm new to the game and so happy for all of you. Congratulations can't wait until it's my turn!

On 6/16/2017 11:27, Player said

That's great congratulations to all of you, God blessed you my DAY COMING.

On 6/16/2017 10:25, Player said

Congratulations to all the winners

On 6/16/2017 07:56, Player said

On 6/16/2017 05:43, greenelady said

Holding on to hopes to be the next lucky one. I'm not against winning in a 2nd. chance drawing! IMO Congrats! to all the winners...

On 6/16/2017 05:39, Player said

44 WINS OUT OF MILLIONS WHAT A JOKE! COME ON THE LOTTO NEEDS TO SPREED OUT MORE WINS,PEOPLE WILL PLAY MORE IF THERE ARE MORE BIG WINNERS COME ON LOTTO STOP BEING GREEDY!!!Lucke-Zone RepliedThe 44 wins are just those for a week of $5,000 or more. Players won lots of other small prizes that are big enough to make a day or a week. Good luck on winning some of those prizes.

Monthly Drawing Powerball Jackpot Fever Jeep Second Chance X The Cash Extreme Millions Subscription Services Ultimate Millions