The biggest win of the week is also the largest Mega Millions win in Henderson County history. Robert Cockrell played a series of family birthdays on his $2 Megaplier ticket for the Jan. 29 drawing. He beat odds of 1 in 3.9 million to match all five white balls and win $1 million. “It really feels great,” Cockrell said. “It couldn’t have come at a better time.”
While Cockrell matched his way to $1 million, a Bladen County woman scratched off a $150,000 prize playing the Hot Streak game. Mary Sinkler of Elizabethtown is the first player to win a top prize playing the game since it began on Jan. 22. “I didn’t believe it,” Sinkler said. “I had to get my daughter to look at it before I thought it was real.”
Christopher Shotwell of Burlington was stunned, too, when the prize shown on his Mega Bucks ticket was $100,000. “I did a double take,” Shotwell said. “I just couldn’t believe my eyes. It’s been a crazy week. I’m pretty excited.” Just a few days before, Shotwell’s first child was born. He planned to save his winnings for his son’s future.
We’re looking forward to meeting the Carolina Cash 5 players who split Thursday’s $422,282 jackpot. Get this: Both tickets that matched all five numbers were sold in Duplin County! The tickets were sold at the C-Check on Brinson Road in Magnolia and the Friendly Mart on Center Street in Faison.
Three lucky winners – from three different parts of the state – Power Played their way to $40,000 each in recent Powerball drawings:
- Out by the Pamlico Sound, a man from the small town of Arapahoe won in Wednesday’s drawing. Thongsook Schlau bought his winning Power Play ticket at the Handy Mart on U.S. 70 East in New Bern.
- Northeast of Charlotte, a Catawba County man won in the Jan. 16 drawing. Jose Duque of Harrisburg bought his winning ticket at the Lowe’s Foods on N.C. 49 South.
- Not far from the South Carolina border in Richmond County, a ticket for the Feb. 2 drawing has yet to be claimed. It was sold at K’s Korner Stop on West Hamlet Avenue in Hamlet.
Since Thursday, Jan.31, players of N.C. Education Lottery games won more than $18.1 million in prizes with more than $13.4 million awarded to winners of instant scratch-off games. Some of those winners are:
- Daniel Bloomer of Denton, who won $50,000 playing Cold Cash Lines
- David Ellison of Greenville, who won $30,000 playing Money Mania
- Chad Stevens of Germanton, who won $25,000 playing Bah Humbucks
- Otis Pridgen of Whiteville, who won $20,000 $4,000,000 Cash Blowout
- Kimberly Forbes of Rocky Mount, who won $10,000 playing $5,000 a Week for Life!
- Mildred Gumbs of Winston-Salem, who won $10,000 playing Ruby Red 7’s
- Sherry Harwood of Weaverville, who won $10,000 playing $200,000 a Year for Life
- Jerden Lea of Burlington, who won $10,000 playing Hot Streak
Have a great weekend everyone. Best of luck and see you next time here in the Lucke-Zone.
Login to leave a comment.