Two $1 million prizes were awarded to lucky winners this week as players across the state cashed in more than $18.6 million in prizes.
A Catawba County man became the 12th North Carolina Powerball player to claim $1 million this year. Humberto Barrios of Newton beat the odds of 1 in 5.1 million to match all five white balls in the Sept. 21 drawing.
The other $1 million winner scratched his way to the seven-figure prize. Auston Griggs, who lives in the small town of Waco in Cleveland County, won his million on a lucky Ruby Red 7’s ticket.
Oct. 1 was the First Tuesday of the month, and we’ve already got our first top-prize winner in one of the new games that started that day. Carrol Brown of Charlotte won $150,000 playing Bonus Jackpot. “I’m a lucky guy,” he said. “I’m happy. What a payday.”
The $50,000 winner in Wednesday’s Cash 5 Bonus Bucks drawing has already collected his prize money. Pablo Rios Maldonado is a retired construction manager from Lucama in Wilson County. He said that he plans to use his winnings to take his wife on a cruise.
Sunday’s $114,634 Cash 5 jackpot is still unclaimed. The lucky ticket was sold at Great Stops #3 on Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh.
A pair of Mega Millions players collected $10,000 each this week. Walter Matier of Greensboro won in the Sept. 27 drawing and Antonio Cobham of Raleigh won in the Sept. 17 drawing.
A dozen instant scratch-off prizes of $10,000 to $50,000 were claimed this week. The winners of those prizes are:
- Ana Jimenez Rodriguez of Lincolnton, who won $50,000 playing Money Vault
- Sherelle Turrentine of Raleigh, who won $50,000 playing Bingo Mania
- Peggy Barnhill of Wilmington, who won $40,000 playing Big Money
- Gail McMillan of Kinston, who won $30,000 playing Double Match
- Jennifer Adcock of Oxford, who won $10,000 playing 50X The Cash
- Cindy Edwards of Pikeville, who won $10,000 playing 50X The Cash
- Alethea Jones of Rocky Mount, who won $10,000 playing $120 Million Cash
- Harvey McElveen of Gastonia, who won $10,000 playing $120 Million Cash
- Floyd McShaw of Shelby, who won $10,000 playing 5X The Cash
- Derrick Parker of Winston-Salem, who won $10,000 playing 50X The Cash
- Brenda White Pharr of Concord, who won $10,000 playing 20X The Cash
- Lori Williford of Oxford, who won $10,000 playing 20X The Cash
Whatever you have planned for this weekend, we hope it’s a good one. See you next time here in the Lucke-Zone.
Comments for this topic are now closed. Click here for answers to frequently asked questions and contact information.