Players win more than $15.8 million in prizes

Two prizes of $1 million were awarded to lucky Mega Millions players this week, making them the week's biggest winners. Queenester Newman of Garland claimed the first prize on Tuesday. The Sampson County woman said she'll use her prize to make improvements on her home. On Thursday afternoon, David Whitmore of Henderson in Vance County claimed his $1 million prize. “Today is my birthday and this evening I’m going to a concert with my kids,” he said. “I haven’t told them yet, so I may pick them up in a limo as a surprise.”

A Greensboro man hit the jackpot Monday night. Jimmie Phelps, a retired general manager of an automobile dealership, said his $155,721 in prize money will mean the mortgage gets paid off; he’ll get a Harley-Davidson motorcycle; and his wife’s dream about a trip to Tahiti may finally come true.

Heading into the weekend, Saturday’s Powerball jackpot stands at an estimated $214 million if taken as an annuity or $143 million if taken as a lump sum. It is the largest Powerball jackpot since the Sept. 26 drawing when a player from Iowa won the $202 million jackpot.

The first Carolina Cash 5 Bonus Bucks drawing was conducted on Nov. 14, resulting in a $50,000 winning entry sold at the Kangaroo Express on Piney Green Road in Jacksonville. The winning entry number is 100217876. The ticket holder has 180 days from the draw date to claim the prize. This was the first of five Bonus Bucks drawings the lottery will hold through next summer. In each drawing, five prizes will be awarded: One $50,000 grand prize, one $5,000 prize, and three $1,000 prizes.

Since Thursday, Nov. 8, players statewide won more than $15.8 million in prizes. More than $3.7 million of that was won by players of our North Carolina draw games Pick 3, Pick 4 and Cash 5. More than $10.6 million went to winners of instant scratch-off games. Some of those big winners are:

We'll be watching the drawings with you this weekend, and waiting to meet more big winners next week. Best of luck, North Carolina!

On 11/17/2012 12:40, Phillips said

congrats to all the winners !

On 11/17/2012 04:40, Nsc2848 said

Odds of 1 in 2.94 are not correct. Very disapointing when i bought 5 Holiday Millions in a row and got not one dollar. Not playing that one anymore!!!

On 11/18/2012 09:57, GrandMom said

I always purchase cash 5 tickets ,however I never win. Can I enter these tickets in the second chance drawing?

On 11/18/2012 12:15, luck7 said

i be so much better off to never play the lottery ever again ..so tired of just a few winners and thats it

On 11/18/2012 09:50, PlatinumRollers said

Congratulations to all the winners. I hope to join the ranks soon!

On 11/19/2012 12:43, Teresa3 said

I wanted to know...how does the ncel dicepher between a six and nine? Is it determined by the lottery rep for that drawing? B/c last night 4-4-9-and another 9 fell again but me me said it was a "6?" I play that number and was able to hit 4949 for $25,000 on Sep 3, 2012 and I now play it 4499..just curious?

On 11/19/2012 05:06, baddcatt326 said

Waitin 4 my turn.Lol.

On 11/19/2012 05:18, Lucke-Zone said

@ TERESA3 - You might have noticed that the word (such as "SIX" or "NINE") for each number is printed in very small type on each ball. The next time you watch the drawing, take a look! :-) Occasionally the host of the drawing will see or announce the number incorrectly; when that happens, all that matters is the actual ball that was randomly selected.

On 11/19/2012 05:19, Lucke-Zone said

@ MAYBABY - Currently, only instant scratch-off games can be entered for Lucke Rewards points. The only second-chance drawing currently underway is for the Holiday Millions game. There is a Carolina Cash 5 Bonus Bucks promotion right now, but its not a second chance drawing. Check out our website for more info on that :-)

On 11/19/2012 05:23, Lucke-Zone said

@ NSC2848 - The odds for any instant scratch off game are accurate when the game begins, and take into account all the tickets that are printed. Winning tickets are distributed at random throughout the entire game, not every third, fourth, or fifth ticket on a roll. Its just a matter of luck.

On 11/19/2012 08:12, Noel said

I really wish NCEL would have a link that shows what county is winning for instance atleast $25k and up,then have another list by town. Would be very interesting to see exactly where the bigger winners are winning!

On 11/20/2012 12:41, gorams15 said

I could not imagine myself purchasing 5 holiday millions at 20 dollars a pop. The next person or persons will win behind that purchase. I have never purchased a scratch off that expensive. Thats the odds lucke zone speaks about. I found out that I did'nt have good luck.

On 11/21/2012 04:48, Lucke-Zone said

@ NOEL - As we add new features to our website in the future, we hope to add some more information about winners :-)

On 11/22/2012 08:41, Teresa3 said

I would have to agree with gomom46, when you're buying $20 dollar tickets it would be nice to get at least your money back?!? I have purchased sooo many 4,000,000 tickets @ $20 a pop, to win absolutely nothing. But I keep playing b/c I will win again. I was able to pay my mortgage off and some more small bills.