Trio of $10,000 winners just 7 miles apart

9:27 AM

Ever driven down Highway 17 between Jacksonville and Wilmington before? If so, you have passed through the small town of Hampstead, North Carolina. Locals call the highway “the gauntlet” because so much traffic comes through.

We’re telling you all this about Hampstead because within the past week, a trio of lucky $10,000-winning Powerball tickets were sold there: two for the same drawing at the same store, and another one just 6.7 miles away. Both stores have Highway 17 addresses.

Two of the tickets, for last Wednesday’s drawing, were sold at the Hill Top Grocery & Service Station. One of those $10,000 prizes was won by Tina Coleman, who lives in Hampstead. But we still don’t know who has the other ticket that was sold there. And then there’s the third $10,000-winning ticket, this one from Saturday’s drawing, which was sold at the Hampstead Country Store, just a few miles away.

Who’s holding the other winning tickets? We don’t know yet. It could very well be more residents of Pender County. But there’s no telling, the winning tickets might have been purchased by players “just passing through” or visiting one of the many golf courses located in or near Hampstead.

The Powerball jackpot rolled again Saturday night and now stands at an estimated $153 million for Wednesday’s drawing. We wish everyone in Hampstead, everyone driving down Highway 17, and players across the state of North Carolina the very best of luck.

On 3/30/2011 09:32, Gordon said

I just wish some of that luck would come up here to Stokes County.

On 3/30/2011 12:07, lucky87 said

It definitely needs to come to Columbus County and into my hands!

On 3/30/2011 02:30, BRYAN said

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOMEONE WHO IS OUT OF WORK,AND GOING TO LOOSE THERE HOME,AND WOULD REALLY LOVE TO GET A JOB,I WAS IN REALESTATE AND I LOVE WORKING WITH PEOPLE,I WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR ALL OF US LOOKING, P.S.GOD BLESS

On 3/30/2011 03:37, Gina said

I play faithfully and I need a Lucky hit here in Asheville N.C. I am due for something big!!

On 3/30/2011 05:11, leehr2 said

We have notice that the majority of big winners are from the eastern part of north carolina, you always says that you'll don't know where the winning tickets and scratch off's are at, but it seem very funny that about all the winners are from the eastern part of North Carolina,

On 3/30/2011 05:24, Lucke-Zone said

@ LEEHR2 - last night, we had a $366,158-winning Cash 5 ticket from Salisbury (Rowan County). The biggest jackpot winner in NCEL history ($141.4 million) is from Asheville (Buncombe County). What county do you live in? We can tell you how much players near where you live have won.

On 3/31/2011 02:11, WishingOnAstar4u said

I have notice that all the big winners are near the big cities of North Carolina, but there have not been any big winners up in the mountains of North Carolina.

On 3/31/2011 09:40, Lucke-Zone said

@ WISHING - In the following western counties - Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, McDowell, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania and Yancey - players from the area have won more than $231.1 million in prizes since the lottery began. The largest jackpot winner in NCEL history is Frank Griffin of Asheville, who won $141.4 million in the Feb. 6, 2010 Powerball drawing. Another Powerball winner, Ronnie Parton of Waynesville in Haywood County, won $1 million in 2009. A third Powerball winner, Judy Carpenter of Bryson City in Swain County, won $600,000 in 2008.

On 3/31/2011 02:08, th1967 said

I definitely wish that some of that luck would roll and come and roll through the town of Statesvill, NC. Never had any real big winners in Statesville! We need the money too!

On 3/31/2011 02:41, Lucke-Zone said

@ TH1967 - Actually, we've had two winners from Statesville claim prizes bigger than half a million dollars: $750,000 Jumbo Bucks winner Donna Allen and $800,000 Powerball winner Donald Sigmon. We wish y'all luck!!

On 3/31/2011 06:35, pcain said

I too, play faithfully, but have yet to win any big money. There have only been 2 people in High Point, that have won big bucks.I feel like the other person who wrote that all the big winners come from the easter part of the State.

On 3/31/2011 11:10, 1rock2king said

since you on a roll what prizes have been from richmond county

On 3/31/2011 11:16, dollbaby said

Hot pick 3 for N.C.MIDDAY IS 140

On 4/01/2011 11:03, Lucke-Zone said

@ PCAIN - we just had a $500,000 winner from High Point claim this week. Check out her story here, it's amazing: http://bit.ly/gSRRM2

On 4/01/2011 11:06, Lucke-Zone said

@ 1ROCK2KING - in terms of prizes of $500,000 and above in Richmond County, Kathleen Fucci of Hamlet won $500,000 playing the $500,000 Jackpot instant game and Armon Waters of Rockingham won $800,000 playing Powerball. Richmond County players have won more than $14.9 million in prizes through 6/30/10

On 4/01/2011 02:24, bornloser said

Here`s one, how many big winners in Manteo? Just scratcher winners, NCEL has no control over Powerball or Mega mils other than selling tickets, since the drawings are in other states.

On 4/01/2011 03:34, Johnny said

I FEEL VERY BLESSED THAT I WON $500 ON THE $200,000 A YEAR FOR LIFE TICKET LAST NIGHT. MOST I'VE EVER WON AND I'M A FAITHFUL PLAYER ALSO FROM THE AREA WHERE THE 3 $10,000 WAS WON. GOD BLESS WHOEVER WON.

On 4/01/2011 04:32, WAINAINA said

I PLAY FAITHFUL I WISH I CAN WIN. I NEED TO REPRESENT RALEIGH N.C

On 4/01/2011 04:35, Lucke-Zone said

@ JOHNNY - hey, congratulations!!!

On 4/01/2011 04:41, Lucke-Zone said

@ BORN - Players in Dare County have won more than $6,961,141 in prizes through June 30, 2010. Instant winners include Shelawn Burton of Manteo, who won $15,000 on "Rake It In." Other big winners from Dare County are Jerry Ellis of Kill Devil Hills who won $100,000 on Blue Ridge Riches and Helen Grandy of Nags Head who won $100,000 on Mega Bucks. Also had several other winners of $5,000 to $7,777 from Dare County.

On 4/01/2011 04:43, Lucke-Zone said

P.S., according to 2000 census figures online, there were a little more than 1,000 people living in Manteo. And winning tickets are distributed at random throughout the printing run and nobody knows what town or store they'll end up in. Everyone has an equal shot to win.

On 4/01/2011 10:38, tracey said

i win small on tickets but i fell i will win one day soon

On 4/02/2011 07:43, mirrors said

i just wish i could hit for enough to repair my home,not be silly

On 4/02/2011 02:09, Don said

I feel that something is coming my way.Been playing since lottery started.

On 4/02/2011 06:09, beaver said

I am a new player. I live in Ashe County North Carolina. We sure could use the money if we win.

On 4/02/2011 09:21, arthur said

I KNOW THERE IS A WAY TO WIN, SO LET ME GET STARTED..CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS MY TIME WILL COME YOU HAVE TO BE LIKE JOBB.

On 4/02/2011 10:00, 1234 said

i wish i can be lucky one time,and live to see it.

On 4/03/2011 01:34, walter0422 said

congrulations to all the winners.I play faithfully i hope to hit big soon here in nash county rmt nc

On 4/03/2011 01:51, Bobby said

I need some luck here in Gastonia NC.

On 4/03/2011 02:04, queda2003 said

I wish some of the luck would come roll through New Bern NC

On 4/03/2011 08:01, CCW said

Prizes up to and including $600 should be allowed to claim at a retailer as the megaplier 4 of $150 win is six hundred; lot easier for everyone. Right after every cash 5 or lotto drawings, the city or town should be revealed if there are jackpot winners; it's like a sugar rush especially if it's your town! Good luck to all!!!!!!

On 4/04/2011 02:23, samuelpancho said

good

On 4/05/2011 02:22, grasshopper said

I have to say that the new WOOOO tix has to be the biggest ripoff in all of the tixs out ther.Go look at the prizes, 1st 100k, 2nd 200 bucks. that's a joke if you ask me

On 4/06/2011 08:24, bun said

why are all of your winners near large cities. spread some of those tickets to small towns like Oxford, And all the mega and other big wins just happen to be Quick picks from those same places....????????/

On 4/06/2011 11:35, Lucke-Zone said

@grasshopper - The new Wooooo! II ticket is a very short run, so the decision was made to have more winners in the middle tier of the ticket. In fact, the chance of winning double the price of the ticket or more is much greater than other games in that price range.

On 4/07/2011 06:37, lau8kab said

I give up on the wooooo ticket i have bought so many of them from different stores and sometime same store in Lumberton nc and won 5 dollars.

On 4/07/2011 01:33, nicknlara said

hey mr. luck-e-zone! we live in forsyth county. i know there have been a lot of winners here in this county but what about kernersville?its been awhile since ive heard of anyone winning big here. especially on a scratch-off. cmon k-vegas!!

On 4/07/2011 02:10, Lucke-Zone said

@ NICKNLARA - Hi. Last week, Amanda Young won $1,000 playing $200,000 a year for life. Jung Lee won $1,000 on a $200,000 a year for life ticket last month, too. They're both from Kernersville. Copy and paste this link into your browser and you can review some winners from Kernersville: http://bit.ly/guA92R

On 4/11/2011 11:12, Horsegrl said

I understand how fellow scratch ticket players on the western side of state feel, us players on the eastern side feel that most of the high $$ tickets are found west of I95. I know that one of the $100K winners in Dare county was over 3 years ago. Is there a way to switch up the "random" distrubution?? Also....please explain to me how the odds on a ticket can say for example 1:4.31 (odds for Loteria) and a lady that i know plays that ticket faithly and recent purchased 20 tickets and none of those tickets were winners....that's 20 in a row!! Something is NOT right with that. Thanks.

On 4/11/2011 12:35, Lucke-Zone said

@ HORSEGRL - the odds of winning are for the entire printing run of the tickets, not per roll. And since the distribution is random, there is not way to change it or influence it, otherwise it wouldn't be random anymore. There's always a chance to win, but no guarantee. We've had winners who hardly ever the play the lottery win big prizes, and we've had winners who played often win big prizes. It's all a matter of luck.

On 4/23/2011 12:14, lau8kab said

i really wish i could win something , i guess it just isnt my turn could really use it now, but I still look at it in a positive way to, the schools can get what our children really need to get a good education. Good luck to anyone eithering second chance drawing , i have not . God Bless

On 5/09/2011 07:20, lillian said

MY NUMBERS FINALLY CAME OUT IN THE PICK 3 AFTERNOON THAT I HAD BEEN PLAYING EVERY DAY FOR 2 MONTHS EXACT $500 SO DONT GIVE UP YOUR TIME IS COMEING GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU

On 5/10/2011 07:16, VA said

my number came out on yesterday too for pick 3 then they changed it ..........it sshowed 148 on the site but changed to 143.......I got an lucke-zone email that show 148........later that day I got one that show 143....................so is this good luck or what...........I bet they won't answer this one........have sent an email to lottery, but no one has anything to say

On 5/10/2011 05:10, Lucke-Zone said

@VA - The winning numbers for the mid-day Carolina Pick 3 drawing on Monday, May 9, were 1-4-3. Because of a human error, the wrong numbers, 1-4-8, were posted briefly on our website. We corrected the error as soon as it was discovered. The posti...ng on the website triggers the numbers to be sent out to players who signed up for text messages or e-mails from us and the numbers recorded on our telephone answering system. So unfortunately, while the drawing was for 1-4-3, the wrong numbers initially were sent out to some players. As soon as the error was discovered, we sent out corrections. As the drawing was valid and the numbers were entered into the database correctly and verified by an outside auditor, the NCEL is only honoring the 1-4-3 combination for the drawing. When other lotteries have paid out two number combinations, it was due to a faulty drawing and not a human error in posting the numbers on their website. We’re sorry for any confusion the error caused.